That said, it's hard not to begin this new year -- ahem, new decade, excuse me -- without some serious personal reflection. There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that this year is going to bring with it amazing changes for my life, though at this point I can only begin to imagine the extent to which these changes will impact my person, my body, and my spirit. Peering into any new year is like staring down into the water and wondering what's below; for me, this year, I look down and wonder if even my reflection will have changed by the start of 2011. I am excited and impatient, scared and hesitant, and above all, I am curious.
So given the overwhelming number of "big" changes that I think (believe, hope, pray, understand) will come for me this year, I've decided to mix things up a bit and focus on some smaller goals for myself. (And to be totally, completely, 100% honest, I actually started this list a while back, when I was given the wise advice my a beautiful post-tx cyster to start planning and visualizing all the amazing things I wanted to do with new lungs.) Without further ado, here are just a few of my 2010 "New Lungs' Resolutions":
- Go running in Central Park
- Buy a beautiful dress, go dancing, and stay out on the floor as long as I want (partner optional -- haha)
- Spend a day volunteering for a cause that is not at all CF related
- Play with my puppy more (I mean really, really play)
- Sketch in a museum
- Continue to journal/write/paint/express myself
- Take a tai chi class
- Continue to meditate
- Dance in the rain -- literally
- Watch a sunset and a sunrise (need not be the same day)
- Find a way to do something to say thank you to my family for everything they've done for me this year
- Be grateful. Be patient. Be humble.
- Practice compassion for myself and others at every chance possible (okay, so maybe I'm aiming a little big with this one, but I promise myself I'll try)
And that's not too much to hope for, right?
Happy 2010, beautiful people. I hope your year, and your decade, is filled with health, love, and blessings beyond even your wildest dreams.