So today started off easy enough. Got up, did treatments, began negotiations with my doctor about starting IVs tmw, and headed out into the NYC Summer heat (yep, it's finally here) with my parents to look at some property. Nothing too surprising -- even the IVs seemed semi workable, and I set up a clinic appt for tmw to help decide the age-old inpatient vs. home question. Add in a French cafe for lunch and thugs were looking, if not perfect, then at least within the realm of normal.
And then along comes SVT.
Yep, that's right -- this post isn't entirely about CF. SVT is another set of letters that makes my life complicated, and today it was on in full force. For over an hour my HR was around 225 bpm, before I ended up at the nearest NYC ER. Luckily the issue was resolved pretty quickly, and I was simply made to wait for a couple hours to make sure everything was stable. I was also given strict instructions to get fully checked out tmw at clinic, which was obviously never in question.
The best part about this experience? Well, it might have been the drunk man who told the cop who brought him in that she had "a thick ass" and was "a sneaky doughnut eater." To her credit, she won best retort of the evening with the line "sir, that is One thing I definitely do NOT have, is a thick ass!" turns out she had recently qualified by time alone for the Florida marathon. Nice.
Or it might have been that my dad was the victim of street fraud, when a man on the sidewalk literally threw fried rice on him and then demanded $12 because dad had "ruined his dinner."
But I'd say the winner hands down is that, for now, I'm home with the sammybear, camped on my couch and savoring a few hours of peace before clinic tmw and almost certain admission. True, between the SVT and the CF I'm more than a little fed up with the abbreviations in my life right now, but for now I choose to focus on that one, universal truth:
There is, truly, no place like home.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
- I am a 33-year-old wife, sister, daughter, friend, law school graduate, CFer, lifelong student of public service, blog writer, patient, Sagittarius, reader, Top chef fan, double-lung transplant recipient (twice!), and dog owner living in Colorado's beautiful Mile High City. I love all things colorful, funny, inspiring, or needlessly sarcastic. I share my city with about 2,500,000 other remarkable people, share my disease with 70,000 other beautiful souls, share my life with some unbelievable family and friends, and share my apartment with one very handsome guy and one really fat mutt with a kick-butt personality. We make it work.
About This Blog:
This blog is about me, my life, my sometimes craziness, my disease, and my current journey as a double-lung transplant recipient. It's also a celebration of everyone out there with CF (and other chronic illnesses). It's for you, inspired by you, and dedicated to you -- the community that keeps me writing, living, and breathing.
Want to Contact Me?
Please email me suggestions, thoughts, comments, or criticism. Seriously, I love hearing from you guys!
Send all emails to:
- ► 2013 (30)
- ► 2012 (36)
- ► 2011 (42)
- Part I: The Call
- Here's The Tricky Part
- La Vita e Bella
- Of Blessings and Battles
- Home and Love Across the Country
- Another Tube Bites the Dust!
- New Lungs Everywhere
- Update from the Godmother and Other Cool Stuff
- Arterial Madness
- All of This
- One Week Since You Looked at Me
- Happy Thoughts
- Small Blessings
- Another day, another (small but important) milesto...
- Not sure how I got here, but I'll definitely take ...
- My New Digs
- Golden Afternoon
- Hi there readers! Calm and peace is the name of to...
- Live from New York...It's Sunday night!
- Off the Vent!
- Sleeping Beauty
- Piper's out! She's in the ICU strapped up to hundr...
- Just When You Thought It Was Safe to Stop reading....
- Serum Sickness
- Special Delivery
- Sam, I Am
- Birthdays and Cliches
- Wearing My Heart on My Sleeve (Or on My Blog, Anyw...
- Just Another Manic . . . Tuesday?
- ▼ June (34)
- ► 2009 (105)
Alternative Medicine Anniversary Antibiotics Anxiety Artwork Attitude Awards/Opportunities Awareness Bacteria Birthday Bronch Career CF Clinic CF Community CF Story CFF Challenge Choices Clot CysticLife Death Diabetes Doctors Donor Bob Drugs Dry Run Education Evaluation Exercise Family Fevers Freematour Frequencer Fun Fundraising Goals Gratitude Great Strides Guest Blog H1N1 Healthcare Heart Hospital ICU Immuno-suppression IVs Lessons Life Listed Loss Marathon Meditation New Year New York Organ Donation Oxygen PFTs Poetry Polymyxin Port Positive Thinking Post-Transplant Prednisone questions rant Recovery Rejection Research Rock CF Sampson Scar Sick Girl Speaks Sickness Side Effects Solvay Cares Stream of Consciousness SVT t-shirts Team Boomer THE Call Therapy Transplant Transplant Clinic Treatments Vertex Waiting Weight Writing