It's official! Pip's off the vent! Actually, she's been off for nearly six hours now, but insistent on keeping her I-pad in the ICU, where updating her blog solicits the risk of a severe reprimand from one of her highly skilled, but also intense nurses...
She's doing amazing. She has more color than we've seen in years, she's attempting text messages (she managed 'hi' early this morning, while still on the vent! Totally impressive considering she could hardly see the screen), remembering said text message attempts, and is even managing jokes!
Her breathing is belabored right now, which her doctor said is normal. According to the respiratory therapist the new lungs are slightly larger than her old lungs, and therefore take some getting used to. She's in some pain, but has an epidural now, so that should improve. And, of course, she's super tired. That said, her doctor told us she's progressing remarkably well!
Whenever we go in there she wants me to read comments from her blog out loud! Please keep sending your love and support and hilarious commentary. She loves hearing your stories and your jokes! Many of you have made her laugh out loud, which is pretty impressive considering the effort that can take!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
- I am a 33-year-old wife, sister, daughter, friend, law school graduate, CFer, lifelong student of public service, blog writer, patient, Sagittarius, reader, Top chef fan, double-lung transplant recipient (twice!), and dog owner living in Colorado's beautiful Mile High City. I love all things colorful, funny, inspiring, or needlessly sarcastic. I share my city with about 2,500,000 other remarkable people, share my disease with 70,000 other beautiful souls, share my life with some unbelievable family and friends, and share my apartment with one very handsome guy and one really fat mutt with a kick-butt personality. We make it work.
About This Blog:
This blog is about me, my life, my sometimes craziness, my disease, and my current journey as a double-lung transplant recipient. It's also a celebration of everyone out there with CF (and other chronic illnesses). It's for you, inspired by you, and dedicated to you -- the community that keeps me writing, living, and breathing.
Want to Contact Me?
Please email me suggestions, thoughts, comments, or criticism. Seriously, I love hearing from you guys!
Send all emails to:
- ► 2013 (30)
- ► 2012 (36)
- ► 2011 (42)
- Part I: The Call
- Here's The Tricky Part
- La Vita e Bella
- Of Blessings and Battles
- Home and Love Across the Country
- Another Tube Bites the Dust!
- New Lungs Everywhere
- Update from the Godmother and Other Cool Stuff
- Arterial Madness
- All of This
- One Week Since You Looked at Me
- Happy Thoughts
- Small Blessings
- Another day, another (small but important) milesto...
- Not sure how I got here, but I'll definitely take ...
- My New Digs
- Golden Afternoon
- Hi there readers! Calm and peace is the name of to...
- Live from New York...It's Sunday night!
- Off the Vent!
- Sleeping Beauty
- Piper's out! She's in the ICU strapped up to hundr...
- Just When You Thought It Was Safe to Stop reading....
- Serum Sickness
- Special Delivery
- Sam, I Am
- Birthdays and Cliches
- Wearing My Heart on My Sleeve (Or on My Blog, Anyw...
- Just Another Manic . . . Tuesday?
- ▼ June (34)
- ► 2009 (105)
Alternative Medicine Anniversary Antibiotics Anxiety Artwork Attitude Awards/Opportunities Awareness Bacteria Birthday Bronch Career CF Clinic CF Community CF Story CFF Challenge Choices Clot CysticLife Death Diabetes Doctors Donor Bob Drugs Dry Run Education Evaluation Exercise Family Fevers Freematour Frequencer Fun Fundraising Goals Gratitude Great Strides Guest Blog H1N1 Healthcare Heart Hospital ICU Immuno-suppression IVs Lessons Life Listed Loss Marathon Meditation New Year New York Organ Donation Oxygen PFTs Poetry Polymyxin Port Positive Thinking Post-Transplant Prednisone questions rant Recovery Rejection Research Rock CF Sampson Scar Sick Girl Speaks Sickness Side Effects Solvay Cares Stream of Consciousness SVT t-shirts Team Boomer THE Call Therapy Transplant Transplant Clinic Treatments Vertex Waiting Weight Writing